JUMPING AWAY FROM LIFE
I honestly don’t remember how I got to the bridge, but I was standing on it, looking at the blue river below, about to jump in. I was ready to die.
So much had happened to me recently. I had impregnated my girlfriend, stolen from my parents, got kicked out of my home, and got expelled from school. Worst of all, Johnny, my cat, died. Why did Johnny have to die? I truly believed that was the best way God could punish me for all I’d done.
The more I thought about my life as I stood on the bridge that separated the northern and southern parts of Makurdi, the more River Benue looked inviting. When I thought about continuing my existence, I got so frustrated my head ached.
“AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!” I shouted in frustration as a lady hawking groundnuts seeds passed by. She turned and looked at me with contempt, and then she hastily walked away. Two nuts fell as she sped away, but I was too mentally demoralized to pick them and enjoy.
I put my hands on the guardrail and lifted myself up.
“Hey! Hey!” voices came from everywhere. In my suicidal state, I thought they were cheering my glorious act.
Buses stopped, a lorry slowed down, all eyes turned in my direction. I don’t know how I noticed it all. Maybe I just wanted to have one last view of the world.
“Peace, at last,” I said and jumped off the bridge.
I played basketball, so I knew what it felt like to be pulled down by gravity. At least, I thought I knew. The feeling I had next was totally different. I fell faster than I expected. I thought I would have time to at least do an aerial summersault –it was always a dream of mine. I was wrong.
I must have fallen at least ten feet into the water before I started drowning. Water was filling my lungs, my hands were getting numb, my head ached incredibly, and I wished I could open my mouth to insult myself.
That was what happened before the fisherman rescued me, before he took me to his home, before his words changed my life.
Forty years have passed since I last saw him. But if you ask me if God speaks through people, I will not fail to tell you about him.
Dont jump away from life, face it!
#From www.princedworld.wordpress.com*Forwarded as received-captivating indeed*
~ Bro. Caleb N. N ~
Comments